Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Pathway To The Past by Arron Landrum


            The Lynchburg Ferry is a great symbol of Baytown and the people who reside there since the people of Baytown and Harris County have kept this ferry running since 1888 for the enjoyment and education of present and future generations for Texans and people all over the world. This ferry crosses the Houston Ship Channel and connects Crosby-Lynchburg Road in Lynchburg to the historic San Jacinto battleground site in La Porte. The Lynchburg ferry is the oldest operating ferry service within the state of Texas and symbolizes Baytown’s long lasting appreciation for knowledge while making it accessible to anyone. The Lynchburg ferry carries cars, bicycles and pedestrians beginning at 4:30 a.m. and operates until 8:15 p.m. Ferries depart daily every 5-10 minutes, and have enough room for 12 vehicles. The Lynchburg ferry on average carries between 1,500-2,000 vehicles per day and has two ships that were built in 1964 by the Todd Shipyard. The ferries are named in honor of the former Texas governors William P. Hobby and Ross S. Sterling. A third ferry with a capacity of 9 vehicles dating from 1937 is always ready in case of an emergency. Remembering back to being a kid and riding the ferry with my parents, I can see myself standing on the side of the ferry looking over into the water anticipating the dock on the other side. Many of the people in Baytown old and young, can recall riding the Lynchburg ferry and remember the ride as I did. This ferry symbolizes Baytown and its people by bringing us together with excitement, anticipation, and a readiness to learn about our history as a city, as a state, and as a united nation.              
              I’m ashamed to say the morning I woke up to make the 50 mile drive to the Lynchburg ferry, I was lackadaisical and nonchalant about getting to see a boat with cars on it. Once I made it to the ferry to take pictures, I had no idea whatsoever of the things that came together almost 200 years ago right where I was standing, the beginning of the Independence of Texas. A man named Nathaniel Lynch built the first ferry to occupy the Houston Ship Channel’s 1,080-foot crossing in 1822. Once the battle of San Jacinto was underway, as many as 5,000 Republic of Texas troops fled from the incoming forces of Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna by using the Lynchburg ferry. Within the next few days, Sam Houston’s army conquered and defeated Santa Anna. By using the ferry as a escape method (which later became known as the “runaway scrape”) Texas could defeat Santa Anna and bring independence to Texas and its people. A year after the battle had ended the Harris County Commissioners decided to place a fee on use of the ferry but in 1890 they did away with all fees, and since then the Lynchburg ferry service is free of charge.  To have a place of such importance in the role of securing freedom in your town would be a great honor and a treasure to those who lived there. Thinking back to the morning I made the drive out to the Lynchburg ferry, I cant help but to wish I would’ve spent less time procrastinating and had more time to experience and enjoy all the history that the historical site had to offer. The Lynchburg ferry has as much importance to Baytown and Texas as it did in securing our freedom as a nation. 
              The long haul from my house in Dayton to Baytown’s own Lynchburg Ferry isn’t something you want to endure on a daily basis, but in the name of good grades and pleased professors I packed my bags and set off. Driving down highway 146 I see nothing besides repeating Fast food conglomerate logos for miles and miles and then I see it, The Stout ferry, branded the William P. Hobby. This powerhouse was a sight for sore eyes as it tugged along the Houston Ship Channel carrying itself back and forth with ease.  After dodging many sketchy fisherman casting out next to the “No Fishing” signs, I pull up to the dock an wait my turn to hop on the back of this beast. Waiting for the ferry I looked across the channel and pictured the men swarming the Lynchburg Ferry to escape certain death at the hands of Santa Anna, then shortly after, the men regroup, grab their guns, and set off again to rebel against the General and his army. Immediately, urgency was instilled in me to make more of this vision and learn everything this place could teach.  A site like this radiates and covers Baytown with History and Pride. As the ferry bumps against the dock I pull forward and finally get out of my car. Standing on the edge of the ferry I felt the mist hit my face with a silent ferocity that gave me definition of my surroundings, while looking into the waves I envied the men who made it back and forth across this channel almost two hundred years ago and lived to tell the tale of the freedom gained that day with guns, sacrifice and love for your land.
















 Works Cited:


Diana J. Kleiner, "LYNCH'S FERRY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rtl01), accessed November 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association. (Web)
Coach Joe Yanak/ World History teacher (interview)










No comments:

Post a Comment