Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Memorial of Freedom: The San Jacinto Monument by Elisabeth Shell



               As a child, the San Jacinto monument had to be my favorite landmark in Baytown. Its intricate designs and towering structure captured me even at a young age. But I did not quite grasp its reason for existence until I grew older and was able to understand the meaning behind each carefully crafted stone put into creating such a marvelous monument. It gave me a sense of pride and awe for the lives and stories it stood for. To this day, it still completely serves the purpose of representing the history and symbol of not only Baytown, but of Texas as a whole.
The San Jacinto Monument was constructed from 1936 to 1939 and its design was put together by Alfred C. Finn and Robert J. Cummins, both locals to Houston (“San Jacinto Monument - Shining Symbol of Texas Independence”). Its architecture seems to baffle modern day engineers as it was not a common design in the time period that it was built. Back then, it was known as the largest masonry construction project ever built. It stands at roughly 567 feet and can be seen for miles around Baytown. At its base stand six flags that represent the nations that called Texas their own (“San Jacinto Monument - Shining Symbol of Texas Independence”). Inside the base of the monument is a museum containing tens of thousands of artifacts that pertain to the Texas culture and can help one understand the hardships and history of the great state. Around the outside of the museum are inscriptions of the story of the War of Texas Independence (“San Jacinto Monument - Shining Symbol of Texas Independence”). On the base of the octagonal structure are detailed depictions of no only the Battle of San Jacinto, but also the development of the Texas community. On the very top stands a 220-ton stone star that represents the effort and difficulties of the freedom we have today and the hope that is provided with the pride we have for our history. 
The San Jacinto Monument is located off of Independence Parkway in a city in Texas called Baytown. Its large outstanding star at the pinnacle of the structure can be seen for miles around the city. As one travels down the smooth winding road leading to the monument, a large rectangular pond comes into view. Surrounding it are vast fields bearing many plants and creatures that make the scene a bit more lively. Close to the steps leading up to the base of the monument stand various flags representing the different countries that attempted or gained ownership of the land known today as Texas. There are delicate designs and drawings wrapped around the bottom of the monument that depict the lives of past Texans, as well as a worded memorial that pays tribute to those very lives. As one’s eyes travel up the stony path of the body of the monument, it is an obvious fact that the structure was made with much determination and time. The stones are different shades and the lines between each section are evident. At the very top stands an obelisk style star that seems to bring the whole monument to life. One may be able to see a long slender window near the top that enables visitors to look down and absorb the marvelous view of Baytown’s major industries. It allows a curious traveler to experience not only the history and sacrifice but also the success and prosperity of Baytown. It also serves as a reminder for those who live nearby to feel thankful to those who sacrificed there lives for freedom as well as prideful for those who invested money and labor into leaving such a strong legacy to the citizens of Texas.
           
                As I sat on the Lynchburg Ferry on my way to the San Jacinto Monument, I was warped back to the time when my fourth grade class took a field trip to the famous landmark. Of course, I had already been there a few times before, but this time I could experience it with my closest friends. When we arrived, I could feel the excitement and awe at looking at such a tall imposing building. I looked around at my friends and they too looked ecstatic, although that may have been because we were getting ready to eat lunch. Anyway, as we walked up the stairs, I looked up at the inscriptions and drawings on the side of the monument. My teacher told us to take a moment and read what it said. I never really paid attention to it before but as I read it, I could feel the air of pride that resonated from every letter and curve even at a young age. After a few group pictures and countless explanations sounding similar to “Yes! We are going to the top Steven!”, we began our expedition inside. I and everyone else became so engulfed in the displays of artifacts and remnants of the old ways of life. I could not even imagine how much harder life was back then, but I could not help wanting to experience it myself just to see what it was like. Walking through this museum combined with my own crazy imagination was close enough to my desire. Trinkets of all kinds, such as feather pens and sickles and hoes gave me so much insight to the lives of the people who lived and fought for this land. I also felt gratitude for them, because they were the reason I and many others were able to live so freely and comfortably. We finally made it through the museum, and we were all ready to head to the top. As we all stood in the elevator in anticipation, I began to imagine how terrifying it must have been to even build at such heights. With the ding of the elevator, all my thoughts at the moment vanished. We walked around and came to a window. We took turns and when I finally reached it, I looked out. It was the best view of Baytown I had ever seen! I looked around spinning on my tiptoes, from left to right, trying to absorb the picture in front of me. My eyes started to drift downward and for one reason or another, I imagined what it would be like to see a battle going on in the fields. My fourth grade mind geared into action and I could see it with eyes tightly closed. I finally stepped down and my mind brought me back to 2004. Right, the field trip. After everyone had their turn, we went back down the monument and down the steps and proceeded to start lunch. Now, as I stood there 9 years later, I could feel the same swirl of excitement and awe looking at the tall imposing building, all before I even took one step inside.
Works Cited
                     “San Jacinto Monument -Shining Symbol of Texas Independence.” San Jacinto Museum of History. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2013. www.sanjacinto-museum.org/Monument/
          San Jacinto Monument front view, Baytown, Tx. Personal photograph by author. 2013.
          Observation floor view, Baytown, Tx. Personal photograph by author. 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment