Wednesday, November 13, 2013

George Wahington Carver By Marcelina Zamora

Historic mark of Baytown
G.W. Carver Elementary those peanut colored bricks joined together to form a building on 610 S. Pruett. The playground is the candy skittles so small and many different colors. The hall way walls are white and sprinkled in with small blue dots, the class rooms filled with tall blue cubbies and itty bitty desk with a hallow table for the students belongings. The black boards on two walls of the class room are always clean from what I hear coming from former students who attend the fifth grade, and a window the length of one wall right above the cubbies. With every hallway being a different grade level, and only pre-kinder thru first grade have restroom in the class room. The rest grades, which are second thru fifth have a restroom at the end of the hall. The cafeteria is the largest room in campus, is lacking color. Their floors are gray tiles with random yellow tiles all around, and the stage at the front of the room had a red dusty curtain. There is lots of light and the rays of the sun shine thru a back door leading to the playground. This brings me to the second largest room on campus which is the gymnasium, it’s connected to the cafeteria with only a foldable wall. The gym’s walls are a sad gray also, but just like the cafeteria it has the rays of the sun spreads thru the back door that’s also connected to the playground in the back. The school parking lot is obviously not so big and full like the one at Lee College the first day of school or the one at galleria in Christmas days, but ideal for staff members. We really don’t need fifth graders driving to school anyways.
Carver elementary may be a horror to all these kids that attend it but to me it now seems like a good memory I wish to go back to everyday in my English 1301 class. G.W Carver elementary was named after the African Inventor George Washington Carver. Carver elementary hasn’t always been an elementary, back in the late forties it was a high school. It was opened the spring 1948 but just for Baytown black students and remained like that for a couple years up until 1967 when students from the surrounding communities started attending. This school was mainly known for how well sports were played and how many wins they had. As time changed the race status in the communities eyes former Carver students transferred to Robert E. Lee and Ross. S. Sterling instead. Once this school was emptied and all students transferred it became an elementary. The names were changed to Carver-Jones when Anson-Jones was closed but changed back to George Washington Carver in 1988. The property that this building was on donated property by Humble Oil also known as Exxon. This became a problem that caused the closure of the school when oil started breaking thru the grass in the playground, students were to stay home for a couple days but then re located to elementary schools around like Lamar Bui etc. in 2002 carver wad built again where the old Horace Mann Junior school was and where Carver elementary still stands. Carver elementary was once “my school” and as school for a lot of my class mate’s where we learned a lot and mad many friends. That is where I met my best friend to who I’m still close too. This was my oldest sister school and my brothers, once it was mine, at this time it’s my nephews. And some day it will be my kid’s school.
When pulling up to the drive in picking up my nephew I right away see the playground I use to once play in. the time got hit with the swing on my head, and the time some kid jumped of the swing and broke his wrist. When the coach brings up my nephew to the car I remember playing dodge ball in that dull colored walls. I would always get hit. I remember my favorite teacher when my nephew tells me about his teacher. I became close friends with the dictionary all because I wouldn’t do my homework he would make us write it standing up with o leaning and no talking for the rest of the day. So 8 hours of standing holding that book. My nephew always runs up to the car all excited about showing me his folder with a green happy face for the day…I would be embarrassed of showing my mom the sad red face I got….

No comments:

Post a Comment